Thursday 7 December 2017

New Music: Kailee Morgue - Discovery


This week lots of music fans have been sharing their data online from Wrapped, the end of year feature from Spotify that shows the statistics behind your streaming habits. Yes, big brother is watching you (or rather listening to you) every time you play a song. My own personal statistics were of no surprise to me; the likes of Lorde, Hannah Peel, Lucy Rose, Stormzy and Alice Jemima being my most streamed artists. What I also found fascinating was that my listening tastes are similar to those of people a lot younger than me and that I listen to a lot of music in a genre called ‘post-teen pop’. Now I’m not quite sure what post-teen pop is, but if I were to hazard a guess, the second release from Kailee Morgue, Discovery, would probably fall into this category. 

It’s the sort of pop music that has that edge, that added depth from the likes of pure mainstream pop, but is still full of melody and accessibility. Other artists we’d put in this category would be Chvrches, Oh Wonder, Sigrid, FKA Twigs, Broods, Robyn and right now, the queen of post-teen pop Lorde. 

“I've been out here searching, all my bridges burning, kept my heart a virgin, for you,” sings Kailee of her relationship with something (music?) or someone. Whatever it is she’s discovered it seems to be her salvation. It's an immaculate pop ballad. Or rather a post-teen pop ballad.

Kailee Morgue - Discovery

No comments: